Saturday, April 18, 2009

Week #2: Better than the First

So after an embarrassing week #1, the second week was much more optimistic. As my ROI table shows.

I had a small but positive ROI and helped reduce my total debt. It’ll probably still take me at least another 2 weeks to get back to par, but that’s what I deserve after being over anxious to start the season. My week one average score was 32.2, while my week two average score was 45.7, a significant improvement.

From here on in I’m going to be referring to my mathematical/statistical system of picking players as “Sharon”. My friend coined the name, and it gives a humanistic touch to what would otherwise be just a formula.

I’ve also decided not to calculate and use freeroll percentage as a measurement of success. It's a bad idea as the freeroll has a different points limit and often includes players from earlier games which I do not pick in my late game. My new target is 45 points every night.



Among a number of other things, this week I learned that fantasy baseball comes down to pitchers and for me that means Jonathon Broxton. Broxton is my rock and my redeemer and now I have a huge man crush on him. Below is my story.

Saturday 11th:
Solid day all round. I went with the Padres combo of Peavy and Bell and it paid off big. With a couple of points from McCann, I would have placed in the Freeroll. Great start to the week.

Sunday 12th:
In an attempt to make sure that I do not take any players who are not in the opening lineup, I decided not to play on Monday. All the games were spread throughout the day, so I couldn't check the lineups.

Monday 13th:
I got caught up in the La Russa blender. Again. I really need to learn. I’ve decided the only Cardinal I’m every playing is Pujols, unless I see the lineup card before the game. I won one of my three contests.

Tuesday 14th:
I am such a slow and stubborn person, Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Matsuzaka will never have a place on my roster again. I will learn. I promise. I had a discussion with Alex about my pick of Matsuzaka and here are the reason why Sharon decided to take him:

1. Oakland is a terrible hitting team, both this year and last. 
2. He's going to get lots of run support. So even if he gives up 4 or 5 runs, its not a huge deal.
3. Only 6 times last year in 29 starts, and 7 times in 2007 (in 32 starts) did he have 3 or less strikeouts. He averages 5.7 SO a game. Oakland is 9th in the league in SO, and was 4th last year. Sharon figured she was going to get at least 6 from him.  
4. He averaged 5.7 Innings per start last year, and 6.3 the year before. Sharon thought 6 innings from him would be fine. 
Boston had a really good chance of winning that game.

Here are the reasons not to take him:

1. He’s terrible.

Wednesday 15th:
Here where my infatuation with Broxton begins. With Lowe only giving me 5 innings and the Braves giving him no run support, I needed big points from Broxton. So he said, “No problem Kyle” and he came through with the win. Oh Yah, Kinsler had a big game to. Kinsler + Broxton = Money in the Bank

Thursday 16th:
Solid day thanks to the Doc but I played some really stiff competition and did’nt place in any of my competitions. I really like picking Guerrero, but unfortunately I missed the fact that he went out prior to the game with an injury. You may notice that Broxton did'nt get me any points, but this is not his fault. What business do the Dodgers have being up by 5 in the 9th and bringing in Ohman?

Friday 17th:
Sharon really liked the Royals matchup against the Texans, especially for the cost of the players. The Royals put up 12 runs and 19 hits. So that was a positive. Oh yah, Broxton, another 15+ point night and the Save. His season stat line? 6.2 IP 1 H 1 ER 0 BB 11 SO 1 W 4 SV, for a total of 67 Fantasy Points.

No comments:

Post a Comment