Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My First $50+ Winning Day

With only seven games scheduled yesterday, one of those too early to be included in Draftbug contests, and four of the remaining six threatened by rain, there were all sorts of interesting strategic issues to deal with. I ended up playing in much higher value contests than normal, because I saw what I believed to be an unusually profitable opportunity. The same player had entered a $22 heads up contest, an $11 heads up, and a $16.50 three person contest. He's someone who I believe is knowledgeable, but usually enters early and doesn't seem to be logged in that much during the day. My thinking was that if he ignored the weather report I would probably sweep him away in all the contests, while if he did pay attention to it, we'd still on relatively even footing. I selected only hitters in the two games that were sure to be played, but choosing starting pitchers was a little tougher. Lowe was the clear standout, and I knew the Atlanta game might happen. In the end I used Lowe in the three person contest (where I thought a higher score might be needed) and Arroyo (who I knew would get to pitch) in the other two contest. It ended up working out well as all three of us picked Lowe in the multi, while Arroyo outpitched Lowe. Things were complicated a little when Steve became the third player in the $16.50, but everything still went according to plan as I won all three contests. Total entry fees: $49.50. Total prizes: $105. Cumulative entry fees: $174.40. Cumulative prizes: $275.25. ROI: 57.8%.

1 comment: